As busy mums, it is likely you’ve little time to address the issue of clutter in your home. Have you ever considered how much money you could make by selling off unwanted or unused possessions? Here are some things to consider.(more…)
Vivacious Mum is a member of the Diary of a Single Mom Bloggers Network. They interview Sue Cohen, Chief-Executive of SPAN (Single Parent Action Network).(more…)
It’s hard being a single mom and easy to feel alone sometimes. But the fact is, there are lots of single moms in America - an estimated 13.7 million single parents in the U.S. who are raising 21.8 million children. 82.6% of single parents are mothers.
And there have been many famous single moms throughout history, proving on a large scale what lots of women prove every day: strong moms change the world! Here are only a few examples of awesome single moms in history:
- Toni Morrison Nobel Prize and Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist, editor, and professor who wrote the books Song of Solomon, The Bluest Eye, and Beloved, amongst many others. She divorced her husband in 1964, becoming a single parent to her children Harold and Slade.
- Halle Berry is the first and only actress of African American descent to win an Academy Award for Best Actress. Berry is currently going through a messy custody battle with her ex, supermodel Gabriel Aubry. She is pictured often in tabloids with her daughter Nahla.
- Katie Couric An American journalist and author, Katie Couric was the first solo female anchor of a weekday evening news program on one of the three traditional U.S. broadcast networks. Her husband passed away in 1998, and she is the mother of two daughters Ellie and Caroline.
- Abigail Adams The wife of President John Adams, Abigail Adams was essentially a single mother because her husband’s duties required long periods of separation. Not only did she raise their five children, she also managed their farm, as well as John’s financial investments. Her oldest son, John Quincy, became a U.S. President like his father.
- Coretta Scott King The widow of Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King was also an author, activist, and civil rights leader. After the assassination of her husband, she became a single mother to Yolanda, Martin Luther III, Dexter Scott, and Bernice.
- Erykah Badu The “First Lady of Neo-Soul”, musician, producer, and actress Erykah Badu is also the single mother to Seven Sirius, Puma Sabti, and Mars Merkaba. She is in a relationship with rapper Jay Electronica, her boyfriend of 5 years and the father of Mars Merkaba.
- Sofia Vergara Colombian actress, comedian, television host, model, and entrepreneur is most known in the U.S. from her role in the show Modern Family. She married then divorced her childhood sweetheart and is the single mother of a nineteen year old son Manolo.
- St. Helena Augusta The earliest single mother on the list, Helena Augusta was the abandoned single mother of Emperor Constantine I, and changed the face of Christianity.
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis, was the wife of 35th U.S. President John F. Kennedy and served as the First Lady of the U.S. until 1961 when her husband was assassinated. She was a single mother to her children Caroline and John Jr. until she remarried Aristotle Onassis five years later. She was a successful book editor for the final two decades of her life.
- Diane Keaton is an actress, producer, director, and screenwriter. Though she’s dated famous men like Woody Allen, Warren Beatty, and Al Pacino, she never married. At the age of 50, she decided to become a single mother and adopted her children Dexter and Duke.
As a single parent, you may find that summer allows you more frequent and longer chunks of time to spend with your kids. Along with all the fun activities and outings you have planned, make sure that you take the necessary precautions to avoid dangers when swimming and enjoying outdoor activities. Here are some specific ways you can keep your kids safe this summer.(more…)
Whether you own your own home or rent, having a few tools on hand for a quick fix can save you time and money you would otherwise have to spend hiring a handyman. And as any single mom knows, whether you’re putting together a crib for the first time or trying to take the batteries out of a toy, you will always need a screw driver. Here’s what else you should also have in your tool kit.(more…)
Single moms often need the support of their friends and extended family in order to get by. But what about the extended family of your ex? How important is it that your kids know your ex’s extended family?(more…)
Are you stumped looking for a vacation spot that fits your family and your wallet? Finding the best vacation for a single mom with kids can be difficult, but despair not. By following these quick tips you will be packing up your suitcases and forwarding the mail in no time.(more…)