Adults are not the only ones that experience violence and sexual abuse. Sadly, one in three teen girls is a victim of physical, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner. February is teen dating violence awareness and prevention month.
Abuse can take many forms, including emotional/verbal, physical or sexual abuse:
Physical abuse or violence:
- 40 percent of teenage girls (ages 14 to 17) know someone their age who has been hit or beaten by their partner.
- Almost 80 percent of girls who have been physically abused in their intimate relationships continue to date their abuser.
- One in four teenage girls who have been in relationships say they have been pressured to perform oral sex or engage in intercourse.
Become informed and find help if you or someone you know is in a violent or abuse relationship:
- What are the Signs of an Unhealthy Relationship
- Healthy vs. Unhealthy Dating Relationships
- What You Should Know About Sexual Assault and Rape
- 10 Steps to Breaking Up with a Bad Friend
Find more information and resources:
- National Dating Abuse Helpline: 1 (866) 331-9474, 1 (866) 331-8453 TTY
- National Sexual Assault Online Hotline
- The Safe Space
- Love is Not Abuse Coalition
- Start Strong: Building Healthy Teen Relationships
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month